A spicy south-Indian condiment that pairs up so well with idli/dosa.
Complexity - Simple
Prep time - 10 mins
Cook time - 5 mins
Serves - NA
Whole Urad dal - 1 cup
Channa dal - 1 cup
Hing - 1 small piece
Black sesame seeds - 1/3 cup
Dry red chillies - 25 - 28 nos
Salt - to taste
Dry roast urad dal & channa dal until golden brown and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
Dry roast sesame seeds until popping stops. Set aside to cool.
Dry roast hing followed by dry red chillies until crisp. Set aside to cool.
After all the ingredients completely cools down, using a mixer and grind them into fine powder.
Transfer milagai podi into a clean & dry jar. Use only clean & dry spoons for longer shelf life.
Tips- Dry roast all of the ingredients on medium flame.
- Make sure that the ingredients completely cools down before grinding.
- Be sure to keep milagai podi away from moisture.
- Shelf life of milagai podi comes for months together.
- Podi might be on the spicier side for first few days, after which the flavor slowly evens out.
- Milagai podi mixed with little sesame oil serves as a perfect accompaniment for south Indian breakfast items.