January 30, 2012

Cottage Cheese Chapathi

Here comes another healthier, softer & tastier version of chapathi made with cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is a by-product from milk that has a mild flavor and curd-like texture. Cottage cheese is rich in casein protein and is popular among dieters, body builders, weight lifters, pregnant ladies or anyone who is diet conscious.


I had gestational diabetes with both my kids and my dietician insisted in adding more protein to my diet. As I am a vegetarian, cottage cheese was one of her strongest recommendations. But, for some reasons I couldn't stand the taste of it. Being a vegetarian and having a very few protein options, I was desperate to somehow include cottage cheese (atleast!!!) to my diet but didn't know how. Only after years - a couple of days back I learnt it how - add it to the chapathi/paratha dough - simple!! Chapathi's came out to be very very soft and I thought it is the best recipe to disguise cottage cheese. How I wish I had known this recipe when I was pregnant!

Recently, I got to know that my daughter also hates to eat plain cottage cheese. But, I am not going to worry - I have a delicious recipe up my sleeve to make her eat cottage cheese ;)

Ingredients
Whole wheat flour - 2-3 cups (I used annapurna atta)
Cottage Cheese - 8 oz (as I am trying this recipe for the first time, I used only 4 oz)
Avocado - 2 nos (optional)
Green chillies - 3 nos (finely chopped)
Salt - To taste
Oil - 2 tbsp

Method
Mix cottage cheese, avocado, chopped chillies, salt & oil with whole wheat flour and knead it into a pliable dough. I did not add any water as the moisture from cottage cheese & avocado was enough to knead the dough. 

Take a small portion of the dough and make it into a ball. Using a rolling pin, roll the ball into a circle.



Heat a tawa / griddle and place the rolled chapathi. Cook both sides until done (brush little oil/ghee on both the sides).


Serve them hot with any side of your choice. I served it with tomatillo kootu.


3 comments :

  1. very innovative..looks so delicious..will try this soon..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks absolutely stunning and incredible..healthy chappathis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how many days can we store the dough!

    ReplyDelete