One of the famous Indian condiments whose primary purpose is to cool & cleanse the palate between heavily spiced dishes. Perfect accompaniment for paratha / biriyani or anything spicy!
Don't miss to check out my "Variations" section at the end!
Basic InfoComplexity - Simple
Prep time - 5 mins
Cook time - 5 mins
Serves - 1 cup of raita
English Cucumber - 1 no (medium sized)
Yogurt - 1 cup
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Cilantro - to garnish
Salt - to taste
Wash and peel the cucumber. Using a grater, grate the cucumber and keep it aside.
Take yogurt in a bowl and using a regular whisk, whisk until smooth & creamy. Add grated cucumber, cumin powder/salt and mix well.
Garnish with cilantro and cucumber raita is ready to be served.
- Cubed cucumbers also works well with this recipe (instead of grating).
- You can also add finely chopped onion (1/2 no) to make cucumber-onion raita.
- Instead of cilantro, you can also add chopped mint leaves for that extra zing in the flavor.
- Replace cumin powder with 1/2 tsp of hing for a different flavor.
- You can also add finely chopped green chillies / red chilli powder to spice it up.
- Replace regular yogurt with greek yogurt for added nutritional value.
- Temper it with 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds (in a tsp of oil) for south-Indian touch.